Sunday, November 21, 2010

Now that I've coloured my hair with henna, what can I do with it?

This is my current hair: http://www.missfemale.com/m/index.php?a=2%26amp;b=593



What can I do to make it look better, taking into mind that I treated it with henna? I really want to lighten it in time for my 19th Birthday, which will be in April. Can I do that with lemon juice and sun? Or how do you think darker hair would look on me? All-in-all, any feedback, comments, advice or suggestions will be highly appreciated!



Note: the photo where I have red hair is old, don't mind it.Now that I've coloured my hair with henna, what can I do with it?
Do some blonde highlights.

Dark hair looks really good,

but maybe blonde highlights

for a lighter tone and more dimension? :)

Good luck. :)Now that I've coloured my hair with henna, what can I do with it?
Wow I thought the red hair looked gorgeous! Be very careful when lightening hennaed hair, it contains a lot of red/orange and does not come out! I used to use henna on my hair (it is perfectly fine as long as you don't use 'metallic' henna, and you CAN colour over it). When I hennaed my hair it was only really possible to darken it. Henna works in a different way to other colourants, the henna pigments are larger and do not come out again, once hennaed you are pretty much stuck with it! However you can lighten it, it will not go blonde, and if you lighten it too much it will look orange, but you can use some mild hydrogen peroxide, such as Sun In, to gradually lighten it. This is a better bet as you can control the lightening. Lemon juice won't make much difference to your hair. Please do bear in mind that any lightening will only affect the brown elements, but not the red base. Do it gradually so you don't end up with 'too bright' a colour. Your hair is a gorgeous colour now, if you lighten it a small amount it will highlight the red in the henna, and it will appear brighter. Good luck, your hair is very pretty now in my opinion :)
I have used henna for a while now so i know quite a bit about it. The main thing to remember with henna is that you cannot/ should not use other types of dye over it. I did once trying to experiment and I was lucky that it did not change colors or textures of my hair like other people experienced (it is common when mixing chemicals and henna for hair to turn green in color and straw like) Basically, you need to use ';natural'; ingredients to make the changes of color that you want. The website that I included in the sources has a lot of information about changing the color of your hair if you have henna. I have personally tried a lot of these and they are very helpful. The teas seemed to have the biggest effect on my hair color so you may want to try that.

*I should have mentioned that I was referencing henna that has a bit of dye in it. You can get these from health or natural food stores or places like Sally's. This is the metallic kind that the above poster said so you have to be careful with coloring over. Pure henna is more difficult to find but is wonderful to work with and in my opinion has no real drawbacks.
If you鈥檝e used a henna dye to your hair, try a combination of alcohol and mineral oil to lighten the henna. First, apply a mixture of 70% alcohol to strands of hair. After about 10 minutes, apply the mineral oil on top of the alcohol. Cover with a plastic shower cap and sit under a hair dryer for 45 minutes. Apply a shampoo directly to your hair before applying water to remove the mineral oil. Next, lather and rinse hair. Repeat until all the oil and henna is removed from your hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment